Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Just A Thought...

I am a curious person by nature. I always have a question to ask or a thought about something in my head. Usually random meaningless things that will have no great impact on the world but bother me.

For example...

Who decided there should be 60 seconds in a minute? Or for that matter 60 minutes in an hour? Why 60? Why not 50 which is a nicer number?

Supposing you have a best friend or partner whom you've been with or known for say 40 years. You've done everything together, share everything, are the biggest part of each other's lives. Always there for each other through up's and down's. You couldn't bear to lose them could you? And they think the same about you. Yet for all you share and for all you go through together the likelihood is that one of you will be left to face the death of the other alone. Worse still, despite sharing everything for umpteen years, one of you will probably not say goodbye to the other and will not attend the other's funeral. That really bugs me.

I believe in the afterlife but if it's there then why has no-one come back to tell us what it's like?

When you die, they tell you that you'll finally meet your maker. He/She/It will be there to welcome you to heaven/or whatever you believe in. Fine. However thousands of people die on the same day. Do you have to sit in a waiting room until your name is called? Or is it like to supermarket Deli counter where you take a ticket and wait till your number is called? Pack me off with a good book just in case there is a wait...it'll help pass the time.

There are loads of other random thoughts like this which enter my head with surprising regularity. God knows why. Maybe I just think too much. I am though not alone. Nikki one of my mates came out with a blinding thought just the other day.

Mosquito's bite a human being and suck the blood. If they bite a human with Aids do they then contract the virus? Are they then an Aids carrying Mossie? If so do they pass the disease on when they next inject and suck?

Like I said blinding thought. I only wish it had been mine!! I buggered if I know the answer!

Jenny xx

4 comments:

Divemaster GranDad said...

Jen...Your pal's thought is, sadly, not an original one. Apparently, if a mosquito bites someone with AIDS, the disease is not carried as the virus cannot survive for long enough outside of its host and has to be transmitted directly (sexually, dirty needles, etc). I stand to be corrected on this, but I seem to remember reading it somewhere a while ago.

Incidentally, did you know that it is only the female mosquito that bites? This is due to the fact that it has to feed its offspring. the male does not bite us at all. Strange, but true...

Divemaster GranDad said...

I just found a link that substantiates my previous comment...

http://www.galaxygoo.org/hiv/mosquito.html

Anonymous said...

The 60 second minute (and 60 minute hour) probably come from the Babylonians, who used a base 60 counting system. Minutes and seconds are not only used to measure time, but to measure distance, as in longitude. The earth turns 15 minutes of arc in a single minute of time. A minute of arc at the equator is what's called a nautical mile.

Hope you find this interesting.

jenny said...

Christ you lot are good! I'm off to research the life of a mosquito and the Babylonians! Who's have thought my random queries would have prompted me to learn something today! Kisses to you all!