Monday, November 28, 2005

Speaking Of Embarrassing Yourself...

Take That are back.

Bloody hell this could be truly embarrassing. I watched the documentary on tv a few weeks ago and felt a wave of nostalgia...I was a huge fan. True Take That fans have known for several months now that a reunion was on the cards. We have been waiting to find out if they would tour again and now they've announced that they will.

I can still remember the day they announced they were splitting up. Thousands of girls in tears and suicide helplines set up to aid those so overcome that they thought life wasn't worth living...Richard and Judy dedicated their daily agony phone in to Take That fans!

10 years on and those same girls who were in hysterics were cringing on their sofa's last week as the footage of them in their grief was re-shown during the documentary. I was a 22 year old woman expecting my first baby the day they split and I'm pleased to say I wasn't in tears or in need of the suicide helpline...

Sis and I used to have posters of them all over our room. Back then she was very much a Robbie girl and I was a Mark fan and the room was divided to show this! We bought the cd's, taped everything they were in off the tv and kept it...I still have it to this day, we went to all the tours, bought magazines with them in and t-shirts...you name it we wanted it...The money spent doesn't bear thinking about!

So now they're back again. Of course it can never be the same. For one thing the boys are all a decade older and I can't see them breakdancing or wearing rubber anymore, for another those screaming girls are now mostly Mum's like me...more importantly there's still no Robbie...

Still I went to see Wet Wet Wet a year ago on their reunion tour and I was instantly 15 again...Marti Pellow is still gorgeous (if a little haggard from the heroin) and the voice still there. The audience had all been there before and were all a good bit older than the last time we saw them in Glasgow but the atmosphere was still the same, the women still screamed and everyone sang along...I hope the Take That gigs are the same.

I will dust off my dungaree's, dig out the video, get my dummy round my neck and queue for my tickets...for deep inside me there is a teenage girl still lurking desperate to get out...I shudder to think what would happen if Wham! reformed!!

And if all we get from this reunion is one more chance to see the guys live before they drop into obscurity again then so be it.

So forget Westlife and Boyzone and all hail the original and best boy band of the 90's and naughties....

Jenny xx

2 comments:

Divemaster GranDad said...

..but speaking of reunions...I know they didn't officially split, but has anyone heard the new Depeche Mode album? I think it's great...some of the old DM sounds come through and mixed with some new stuff makes it a really good album to listen to.

jenny said...

I haven't heard the new DM stuff...I'll download it and give it a listen. If there's anything half as good as enjoy the silence I'll be happy!