Saturday, December 31, 2005

Happy New Year...

So it's the end of 2005...I'm pleased to say it turned out to be a much better year for me than 2004 was...all remaining members of family made it through...touch wood though cause there's still a few hours to go!! On a personal level it was a fairly uneventful year...no weddings, births or dramatic changes. Just what we needed after the chaos, changes, craziness and sheer horribleness of the year before.

Last Hogmanay (New Year's Eve, Old Year's Night...whatever you call it) I couldn't wait for the bells to kick 2004 into the past forever...I spent a quiet night with Better Half (who has a name by the way....Geoff!) and a couple of good friends and raised a glass to the end of a shit year!!

This time I'm going out to see in the New Year...with gracious thanks to my Sister who is having the kids to stay with her tonight and my Sister's Ex-Husband who is actually doing the babysitting!! So we're spending the New Year at the club with my Mum (who has just told me she's got a sore back but feels she has to go out anyway because the one year my Dad didn't was the year he died and she doesn't want to tempt fate!!...see what I have to put up with!!!) and friends. We get a great view of the Fireworks at the castle from the club and everyone stands round to watch. There's no place like Edinburgh for Hogmanay...and no race in the world that does New Year like us Scots...everyone should be here at least once in their lifetime to try it!

I'm a bit concerned that going out inevitably means you need to go home agian and this means you end up being your own First Foot...when in fact it should be a tall, dark haired man carrying a lump of coal and /or shortbread and a dram...please tell me I'm not going to have to explain what First Footing is...yes Lee I'm talking to you!!...However I may go and knock up a neighbour to come and do it for us!

The house is tidy...another Hogmanay tradition, out with the old and in with the new...superstition has it that if your home is dirty on Hogmanay it will be dirty all year...and there's a drink in the house for anyone that wants one...another tradition...you need to have an open door for the New Year and offer anyone who comes knocking a drink!

So I best get going...I've only got 4 hours till I'm leaving and you men all know how long it takes us girls to get ready!!

Before I part though I'll leave you with the words (at least the ones we all know and not the 2 verses in between!!) that everyone will have on their lips at about 12.05am....

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And days o' auld lang syne

And for auld lang syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne,
We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet,
For auld lang syne,

And there's a hand, my trusty freen!
And gie's a hand o' thine!
And we'll tak a right guid willy waught,
For auld lang syne.

And for those who don't speak in Scots tongue here's the English translation...

Should old acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
And days of old long past.

And for old long past, my dear
For old long past,
We will take a cup of kindness yet,
For old long past,

And there is a hand, my trusty friend!
And give me a hand of yours!
And we will take a right good-will drink,
For old long past.

So raise a glass at midnight and think of friends and family absent and those who are no longer here to see another New Year...and then look forward to 2006 and all it has in store, I hope it is full of wealth, health and happiness for you all, especially Steven & Steph and Lee, Jordan, Raeannyn & Angelina whom I can't offer a drink too or give a kiss and a wish of a good new year to in person!

A guid New Year tae aw' o' ye, aw the best when it comes...

Jenny xx

1 comment:

Divemaster GranDad said...

Jen...if one could first-foot someone over the internet it would have given me great pleasure to have done so for you.

Here's hoping you, Geoff, and the x-year olds have a great new year, with plenty to be thankful for into the future... S.