Saturday, August 05, 2006

Too Many Daves...

Too Many Daves

Did I ever tell you that Mrs McCave had 23 sons and she called them all Dave?

Well she did. And that wasn't a smart thing to do. You see when she wants one and calls out "Yoo Hoo! Come into the house Dave!" she doesn't get one. All 23 Daves of hers come on the run.

This makes things quite difficult at the McCaves'
As you can imagine with so many Daves.
And often she wishes that, when they were born,
She had named one of them Bodkin Van Horn
And one of them Hoos-Foos. And one of them Snimm.
And one of them Hot Shot. And one Sunny Jim.
And of them Shadrack. And one of them Blinky.
And one of them Stuffy. And one of them Stinkey.
Another one Putt-Putt. Another one Moon Face.
Another one Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face.
And one of them Zigy. And one Soggy Muff.
One Buffalo Bill. And one Biffalo Buff.
And one of them Sneepy. And one Weepy Weed.
And one Paris Garters. And one Harris Tweed.
And one of the Sir Michael Carmichael Zutt.
And one of them Oliver Boliver Butt.
And one of them Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate
But she didn't do it. And now it's too late.

All copyright of Dr Suess of course.

I was reading to my son tonight and he picked Green Eggs and Ham (I do not like them Sam I Am!!) which includes this story which always has both of us giggling like mad when we read it.

I learned to read on Dr Suess books (no boring Janet and John for me) which goes a long way to why I like to read so much nowadays...or maybe it's why I'm a bit nuts!!

By the way did you know that Green Eggs and Ham (you know I would not, could not on a boat, I would not , could not with a goat....) was written as a bet from a friend to Dr Suess that he couldn't write a decent story using only 50 words? No? Well you do now.

Jenny xx

No comments: