Thursday, June 22, 2006

It's Not That Easy...

You sort of expect that when you go to a job interview they will ask you questions and be probing you to see if you're up to the job. You kind of expect that those conducting the interview will have an idea of what ot who they're looking for and will be selling the role to you and looking for you to sell yourself to them.

Not so yesterday at my interview. It lasted all of 25 minutes and basically consisted of them telling me all the negative points of the job (blood, urine, puke and washing your hands 70 times a day) and asking very little. In fact I was asked only 2 direct questions one of which was "Do you think you'd like to work here?" not "Why do you think you'd like to work here?".

Now fair enough you may be thinking "seems like it was a breeze then" but it is remarkably difficult to sell yourself to someone when they don't really give you the opportunity to do so! As someone who has interviewed staff myself I was a bit surprised by the whole thing. 15 minutes spent telling me how hard and stressful and tiring the job was, 5 minutes going over the hours, holiday entitlement and training opportunites and 10 minutes chatting about funny things kids do and how important it is to make sure you take your tea breaks! Nothing about my skills, experience or previous employment. Nothing about why I wanted the job or what sort of person they were looking for!

Bizarre. However, we'll wait and see but I have a feeling that I shouldn't hold my breath!

Jenny xx

2 comments:

Wreckless Euroafrican said...

Yow...
a) You didn't fit their bill
b) They were hoping for an illegal alien so that they can underpay them
c) You looked way too sophisiticated / intelligent / intellectual for their liking
d) They gave you the once over to check if you would still be interested
e) They want to keep the job for a cousin / aunt / daughter / niece....

If you are meant to get it, you will. If not, you'll have to keep working with the likes of CNUT and co... could be worse.

Anyway, we're rooting for you. Hope you get what you want.
Salagatle!

PS, I know it's not that easy, but I thought my previous comment woulod instill a sense of optimism and positive aura into you.... hope it did....

Divemaster GranDad said...

Personally, I think they're explaining to you why the post is vacant, telling you all the negative reasons why the last person(s) left and it hasn't been filled yet.

Doesn't sound much like fun to me...but then, I've been in IT for 26yrs. Come to think of it, it's not much fun now either...maybe I'll become a barman somewhere...

If it's what you want, good luck with the results. If not, ah well...you tried...