Friday, April 01, 2005

When I grow Up...

My 8 year old asked me the other day why it was important that she went to school and tried hard. Aware that my 4 year old who starts school in August is listening I decide to give her a sensible answer.

I explained it was important because it would help her become clever and would help her get a good job. I told her it would give her choices when she was older.

"But what if I choose to be a Pop Star? They don't need to be good at school stuff cause they just sing and dance" she said. I explained that they need to be able to read to learn the words to the songs.

"Ok but what if I choose to be a toilet cleaner?" she says all innocent faced. "Is that a choice I can make?"
What is a mother to do??? I explained that no matter what she ended up being, she need to stick in at school so she would have a choice of things to do instead of being forced to do something she didn't want to do.

"Right so if I'm clever at school I can choose if I want to be a pop star or a toilet cleaner? Is that what you mean by having a choice Mum?" I can feel myself getting drawn into ever decreasing circles here...

"Well sweetheart" I said "Put it this way, if you do well at school and still choose to be a toilet cleaner I won't stand in your way but I'd like you to have the choice to be a Brain Surgeon"

8 year old looks at me as if I'm mad. "Mum, that sounds a bit hard, I'm going to choose to try hard at reading and just stick with being a pop star" Oh well, roll on the teenage years!!

I'm ok with my 4 year old son, we'll not have any trouble with him. At the end of my conversation with his Sister he informs me he is going to be a Power Ranger when he grows up...but he might choose to be Fred from Scooby Doo. Kids Eh?

Jenny xx

No comments: